Historic Shop & Showrooms
In Portland’s Historic “Brooklyn Neighborhood”
The Historic Brooklyn Neighborhood
Classic Pianos Headquarters
Like Chicago and New York, Portland is known for its “neighborhoods. There are 95 officially recognized neighborhoods in Portland, Oregon. On the West Side of the Willamette River, popular areas are Goose Hollow, Lair Hill, John’s Landing, Terwilliger, Council Crest, the rejuvenated Pearl District, and Old Town Chinatown. Across the Ross Island Bridge on the East Side of the Willamette, you’ll find the Historic Brooklyn Neighborhood, Eastmoreland, Sellwood, Ladd’s Addition, Belmont, Hawthorne, Irvington, Mt. Tabor, and Mt. Scott.
In the Brooklyn Neighborhood, at the corner of SE Milwaukie Avenue and Powell Boulevard, emerges Classic Pianos ― U.S. Headquarters for sales, marketing, service, and Classic Restoration of the most revered names in world class pianos.
Classic Pianos at 3003 SE Milwaukie Avenue comprises a renovated and restored “campus” of vintage buildings that incorporates The Aladdin Theater, Recital Hall at Classic Pianos, Main Reception, Offices, and Teaching Studios.
Once part of Historic Portland that included Geller’s Theatre, a vaudeville house in the late 1920s that played host to the likes of comedian / violinist Jack Benny, Geller’s changed its name to the Aladdin in 1934. After remodeling and renovation in 1993...and new ownership in 2001...the Aladdin Theater was voted by AOL.com/cityguide for Portland in 2004 as the City’s Best Place to See Live Music.
Classic Pianos is the official provider of pianos for Aladdin shows and concerts. To name a few artists, Classic Pianos has furnished pianos for Chic Corea (Yamaha CF IIIS 9’ concert grand); Benny Green (Mason & Hamlin 9’ 4” CC concert grand); Eric Himy (Mason & Hamlin 9’ 4” CC concert grand); George Winston (Steinway D concert grand); as well as concert -and-semi-concert grands for members and artists of The Oregon Symphony Orchestra, including Maestro Carlos Kalmar and pianist Susan DeWitt Smith.
To the west, across the backside street from the theater, you will find a piano Restoration Shop and three Piano Galleries. Renovated-old-brick-walls, wood plank floors, polished concrete, wooden-beamed ceilings...and artifacts of hanging bronzed piano harps and antique hand-carved legs...provide the setting for new, reconditioned, and Classic Collection Heirloom pianos.
An adjoining sheet music store, operating as an independent business, is part of the Classic Pianos “campus.” Around the corner to the south a renovated and enlarged 1912 arts and crafts “Piano House,” that once served as a mission chapel for The Episcopal Diocese of Oregon, serves as a Classic Pianos residence and guesthouse.