Benefits for the YOUNG MIND:
- Improves Brain Function and IQ: Music is the only activity that uses and stimulates every area of the brain. Students who received music lessons raised their IQ scores and their test scores.
- Improves Concentration: Children who practice music spend a minimum of 20-30 minutes/day practicing concentration, a skill that will transfer to other areas of their education and lives as well.
- Improves Self-Esteem: Students accustomed to playing in front of a private teacher or for a recital experience higher levels of social confidence.
- Improves Emotional Health: Music reduces stress and anxiety more than other creative art activities and provides an effective way to process emotion.
- Improves Social Opportunities: Students who know how to read or understand music can easily share in other social opportunities like bands or other music groups.
- Improves Abstract Reasoning Skills: The mathematical structure and scientific patterns of sound found in music trigger growth in the brain that will help students be more successful in music and science classes.
- Improves Patience, Perseverance, and Discipline: The skills learned in music practice are valuable in very aspect of a young student’s growth and will transfer to other areas of their lives making them more successful in so many other endeavors.
Read more about how Learning the Piano Benefits the Brain:
How to know if your young child is ready for piano lessons:
Benefits for the MATURE MIND:
- Improves Brain Function and IQ: Participating in music increases the neural connections in the brain, increasing overall brain function.
- Improves Emotional Health: Music reduces stress and anxiety that can often cause health problems. Music also elicits memories that can provide comfort.
- Increases Relationship Opportunities: Seniors may struggle with loneliness so participating in music lessons is a good way to socialize and discuss shared interests.
- Increases HGH (Human Growth Hormone): Studies have shown that those who play the piano have higher levels of HGH. HGH has been shown to decrease, aches and pains, osteoporosis and increase energy levels.
- Increases Happiness Levels: Researchers found that older adults who played musical instruments expressed higher levels of happiness than those who didn’t.
Read more about the health benefits of music for Seniors: